The 2018-19 Specialist Homelessness Services (SHS) annual report by the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW) shows that 290,300 clients were assisted by SHS agencies in 2018 – 19. The report describes the characteristics of clients, the services requested and unmet requests for services during the year.
- 290,300 clients were assisted by SHS agencies in 2018/19
- Of this group, 181,900 clients were formally referred to an SHS agency
- 58% of all clients were housed but at risk of homelessness
- 30% of clients received accommodation; the median length of time was 29 nights
- 40% of clients were homeless on presentation. Of this group, 38% were assisted into housing.
- 60% of clients were female
- 30% of clients were under 18 years of age
- 26% identified as being Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait islander origin
Across Australia, there were approximately 92,300 unassisted requests in 2018 – 19.