The just-released Rental Affordability Index emphasises the need for more affordable housing in Australia, especially for people living on low incomes. The situation is particularly dire for older people living on pensions and single parent households. The report shows that:
- 44% of low income households are in housing stress, rising to 51% in NSW
- Single pensioners in Sydney are paying 91% of their income on rent
- Nationally, the proportion of households renting has increased from 25% to 30%
- Hobart continues to be the least affordable city, followed by Sydney.
- Perth is the most affordable capital city
More needs to be done to address the chronic lack of affordable housing in Australia. Adoption of Inclusionary Zoning would be a great start. Sign up to the Everybody’s Home campaign, calling on our government to address this urgent issue.