Zephyr Education Inc helps children impacted by domestic violence and mental health issues start or restart school by:
- supplying them with the right uniforms and with the same stationery and other school essentials as their classmates, and
- responding to and actioning all requests for support within 48 hours.
The project, funded under the Social Justice Small Grants program, specifically involves supporting children impacted by domestic violence at the request of organisations that specialise in providing mental health services to families.
Zephyr’s intervention ensures that children arrive at their new schools in the correct uniform and with the same school items as their new classmates. This support helps boost their self-esteem and self-confidence, and reduces their anxiety and their risk of being bullied.
This support also assists mothers or carers by covering a significant expense that would otherwise result in additional financial hardship.
As a result of the project, Zephyr has provided:
- School uniforms for 21 children
- School stationery packs for 31 children
- 30 pairs of brand new school shoes
- 25 school bags
Zephyr supplied laptops for three students and paid the resources fees for another three students.
Feedback from services highlights the value of this support. As one Case Manager said, “The impact of your support is a protective factor from possible life-long self-esteem complications for boys and girls. ”