Since July 2020, we have distributed 95 Homes in Boxes to help people who had experienced long term homelessness settle into their permanent home. Most people who have experienced homelessness have limited incomes and can’t afford the essentials needed to set up their home. Home in a Box provides people with brand new, high quality homewares to help make their house a home.
Recent recipients of a Home in a Box include:
- A woman in her 40s who was homeless for six months, suffering PTSD
- A mum and her young daughter, who were couch surfing for 12 months
- A woman with a long history of homelessness
- A single mum with four children who were couch surfing and staying in temporary accommodation
- A man in his 50’s who was homeless for more than two years, with a history of trauma and mental illness
- A man undergoing chemotherapy whilst sleeping rough.
We couldn’t provide this valuable service without the help of our donors and suppliers. We are grateful to our generous suppliers:
- Kennards Self Storage
- Linen House
- Maxwell and Williams
- Hospitality Products
- HC Distributors
This financial year, the demand for Home in a Box has been much greater than expected. We are blessed to have the support of generous donors and the Sisters of Mercy North Sydney, that has enabled us to continue providing this valuable project.
Our sincere thanks to everyone that helps make this project possible, and to the inspirational workers who tirelessly strive to find a home for some of Sydney’s most disadvantaged men, women and children.