Last month we hosted a conversation with the Wongee Mia team. Wongee Mia is an award winning program that delivers innovative and effective services to Aboriginal people who are experiencing intergenerational poverty and homelessness.
We were joined by Uncle Herbert Bropho who discussed the positive impact the service has made on his extended family. The name “Wongee Mia’ was gifted by his family to the service, an honour that acknowledges his mother who was a great advocate for strengthening family ties and providing shelter and homes for her family.
The key to the success of the project was involving Elders in all aspects of the program.
Information sheets are available here:
- Wongee Mia – Building authentic relationships
- Wongee Mia – Project background
- Wongee Mia – Navigating the system
- Wongee Mia – Staffing and recruitment
- Wongee Mia – Interconnected caseload
- Wongee Mia – Working with Elders
- Wongee Mia – Learning culture
- Wongee Mia – Genuine choice
- Wongee Mia – Housing options