The USA’s Trafficking in Persons report for 2022 was recently released. The annual report includes topics of special interest, such as forced labour and clean energy transition and the climate crisis and its impact on trafficking. The report ranks each country by tier, with tier 1 being the highest and 3 the lowest. The tier is determined by their government’s efforts to combat trafficking. The report provides a narrative for each country with recommendations.
Australia is given a tier 1 ranking and the report offers a number of recommendations, including:
- increase efforts to proactively identify trafficking victims among vulnerable groups
- further de-link the provision of service from participation in the criminal justice process
- continue efforts to train police, immigration officials and other front line officers,
- increase efforts to investigate and hold accountable foreign diplomats posted in Australia suspected of complicity in trafficking
- establish a national compensation scheme for trafficking victims.